Re: [Phys-l] Coriolis effect

Anthony Lapinski wrote:

I think my confusion came from interpreting diagrams I see in books. Air
coming south (from the North Pole) will be deflected to the right/west
(clockwise). For hurricanes, I need to look at air moving north from the
fast-moving equator. Then the deflection will be to the left/west
(counterclockwise). I think this makes more sense now.

No, it doesn't. Again, the Coriolis force on things moving horizontally in the northern hemisphere (including wind) is always "to the right". If the explanations offered yesterday aren't clear enough, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_effect and especially the discussion surrounding Figure 13.

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona