Re: [Phys-l] Coriolis effect

Sounds like you are misunderstanding the Coriolis force which does not "deflects winds to the west in the northern hemisphere." Rather, the Coriolis force deflects winds "to the right" in the northern hemisphere and "to the left" in the southern hemisphere. (That is, in the the direction of the horizontal component of –omega x v.) Thus, if air tries to moves inward from all directions toward a low pressure region in the northern hemisphere it is deflected into a counterclockwise spiral.

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona