Re: [Phys-l] the first law of motion

At 10:31 PM -0700 11/2/11, John Denker wrote:

The first law has huge historical significance, but that's quite
a separate discussion. There is no law that says pedagogy must
recapitulate phylogeny. That is, retracing history is rarely the
best way to teach a subject or to solve practical problems.

All correct, especially the last sentence, but the huge historical significance of NFL is a reflection of the great intellectual difficulty beginning students have with accepting NFL, even after they presumably understand NSL. I have had classes that do perfectly fine on problems involving NSL, indicating at least a superficial understanding of its importance to classical mechanics, and yet, when we start to reinforce the first law by showing its logical connection to the second law, at least a minority of students will still want there to be a "tiny, unbalanced" force to keep an object moving.

It is very difficult for them to recognize that air drag and other friction forces will bring the object to rest eventually, and that the "tiny, unbalanced" for they so strongly want to include is only necessary to counter those difficult to visualize drag forces. Even when they "intellectually" understand that, there still is a strong impulse to add "just a little bit more" to keep it moving.

It isn't hard to realize just why it took almost 2000 years for the Arisotelean picture to be replaced by Galileo's and Newton's insights. It is still a really difficult step for today's beginning students--even the really good ones that I used to teach.

I found that it was often easier for them to accept NFL if I acknowledged up front how long the idea that a force was needed to maintain uniform linear motion was the "standard model," and how difficult the transition to the modern picture was. It seems that once they understood that this was a legitimately difficult transition, they were more willing to embrace it, and didn't have to think of themselves as stupid if they had problems with it.

Pedagogy doesn't need to recapitulate phylogeny but it can't trivialize it, either--at least not a first.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
mailto:hugh@ieer.org