Re: [Phys-l] Federally mandated homework

Not that I am a fan of the regulation, but it DOES say

learning outcomes and ... student achievement ... that REASONABLY
APPROXIMATES
not less than-
(1) One hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction
and a minimum of two hours of out of class student work.

This does make it considerably better -- that it seems to be looking for
ACHIEVEMENT that should be expected from 1 hr instruction/2 hr homework.

Tim

PS. I am half tempted to put this regulation on my syllabus for all the
students who moan about the amount of work expected to achieve the level
understanding that I expect them to gain. We can tell them their OTHER
courses fail to meet federal guidelines and are too easy, rather than
physics being too tough. :-)