Re: [Phys-l] Federally mandated homework

I stand corrected! In my defence, I did say "I may be wrong", and apparently I was!

I quote the provided link:

"Credit Hour: Except as provided in 34 CFR 668.8(k) and (l), a credit hour is an amount of work represented in intended learning outcomes and verified by evidence of student achievement that is an institutionally established equivalency that reasonably approximates not less than --

(1) One hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours of out of class student work each week for approximately fifteen weeks for one semester or trimester hour of credit, or ten to twelve weeks for one quarter hour of credit, or the equivalent amount of work over a different amount of time; or

(2) At least an equivalent amount of work as required in paragraph (1) of this definition for other academic activities as established by the institution including laboratory work, internships, practica, studio work, and other academic work leading to the award of credit hours."

Though I would add the regulation stated is actually a definition and only applies to places that are accepting Title IV money and certain other programs. Also, the regulation says nothing about homework per se, i.e. no requirement for formalized homework assignments; as I would interpret it. Though I am no lawyer. There is just the expectation that a normal student will need to spend 2-hours outside of class for every credit hour in the course.

Naturally, this is quite open to very broad interpretation and we have seen no fall-out from this so far on my campus. But maybe that shoe is dropping soon at my institution. Policing this will essentially be a nightmare. And the devil will be in the details of enforcement. It may amount to no more than trying to provide some sort reasonable common definition of a credit hour for comparison purposes. (A reasonable goal in my mind.) OR, it could mean something very very draconian; I hope the DOE has enough money in its budget to hire all the necessary policeman and that Universities have enough money to hire all the necessary people to provide the necessary paperwork . . .

Joel Rauber, Ph.D

Professor and Head of Physics

Department of Physics

South Dakota State University