Re: [Phys-l] Federally mandated homework

May I be so rude as to suggest that if this indeed the case, I'm pleased I don't live/work in "the land of the free".

Keith

During our faculty senate meeting yesterday, the Academic Vice President announced that he would be forming a committee to monitor homework in classes. There appears to be a Federal regulation that is being imposed that demands of any public or private college that receives Federal funds that every class taught have 2 hours of assigned homework for each class hour.

Many of you probably already work to that rule - but it was a shocker for us. Our department will have no problem complying because we use electronic homework and monitor the students homework effort. We also get estimates from the publisher as to how long each assigned problem will take. But it still smacks of "Big Brother".

http://nasad.arts-accredit.org/index.jsp?page=Advisory_Repeated_Courses-Credit_Hours

Bob at PC

Dr. Keith S. Taber

Editor: Chemistry Education Research and Practice
(Published by the Royal Society of Chemistry)
http://www.rsc.org/publishing/journals/rp/about.asp

Book Reviews Editor: Studies in Science Education
http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/titles/03057267.asp

Senior Lecturer in Science Education
Science Education Centre
University of Cambridge Faculty of Education
184 Hills Road
Cambridge CB2 8PQ
United Kingdom
http://www.educ.cam.ac.uk/staff/taber.html