Re: [Phys-l] recriticality at Fukushima

Quoting John Denker <jsd@av8n.com>:

As the half-life of these two materials is short — five days for
xenon-133 and nine hours for xenon-135, the xenon was probably
created recently, ....

This is bad news. Of course 10^-5 Bq is a very small amount of
radioactivity, but there really shouldn't be any xenon at all at
this stage of the game. Unless the observation is completely
erroneous, it means that not only did we have a meltdown, we
had a meltdown followed by recriticality ... and recriticality
is still occurring.

I don't believe so.

Criticality is defined in terms of the effective neutron multiplication factor (k), which is the ratio of the rate at which neutrons are produced via fission to the rate at which neutrons are lost via absorption by, or leakage from, the assembly. An assembly is supercritical if k is greater than one, and subcritical if k is less than one. A population of neutrons introduced into a subcritical assembly will decrease, but not to zero. This is because spontaneous fissions occur in a subcritical assembly. Cf-252 has a half life of 2.6 years, and 3% of these decay events are spontaneous fissions. U-238 may also decay via spontaneous fission. Spontaneous fissions produce neutrons, which occasionally produce more fissions even in a subcritical assembly. Fission events produce radioactive Xenon. So, presence of radioactive Xenon is not a certain indicator of recent criticality.

The best reference I'm aware of regarding nuclear reactor engineering is titled just that, and was written by Samuel Glasstone and Alexander Sesonske.

Finally, the October issue of Physics Today contained two excellent articles on global climate change. It is becoming apparent that tragedies due to nuclear accidents will pale in comparison to those attributable to CO2 already emitted via fossil fuel combustion. The energy density of nuclear ore and the compact nature of nuclear waste make for a sustainable energy source. High energy density fuels must also be treated with care and respect. We humans have the capacity to learn from our vulnerabilities and mistakes. We have barely begun to explore the advanced reactor and nuclear fuel cycle options available to us, and new nuclear power plants are likely to be far safer on a fatality per Joule basis.

--
Jeff Radtke
jr@reflectionimaging.com