Re: [Phys-l] Oscilloscope bandwith demonstration

On 11/1/2011 4:35 PM, Roberto Carabajal wrote:
Hello:

I am looking for the math demonstrations of the practice rule that the
bandwidth of an oscilloscope should be at least five times greater than the
higher component of the tested signal, in order to have an error<= +/- 2% .
It is more a math problem that an electronics problem.

I would really appreciate if you can suggest me any notes o textbook about
this.
My best regards.
Rob
_______
In my understanding, this is a rule of thumb for analog scopes, and is not really amenable to
mathematical validation, which is why you saw the unaccustomed sight of John Denker
spinning his wheels on such a demonstration.
Taking this rule of thumb as saying something about the design trades executed when
designing analog scopes (a field akin to designing wooden cart-wheels, of late) let me
at least speak to your question.
A run of the mill analog voltmeter can be expected to be accurate to +- 3% more or less,
and it is the case that the difficulty of maintaining accuracy with dynamic signals is greater.

The issue is the gain constancy of a deflection amplifier across its bandwidth. You may
recall that operational amplifier chips are often specified in terms of gain bandwidth
product - which is the engineer's way of reminding users that it is easier to hold gain
constant across bandwidth at reduced gains, so the "excess gain" so to speak can be
fed back for linearity's sake in the frequency domain.

The modern armamentarium of ICs allows one to provide sensibly constant gain with
frequency to quite extended bands, and one might even notice a little gain increase
towards the band edge. The gain roll off at the band edge is never precipitous:
all to nothing - though that ideal can be approached with digital signal processing.

In addition, the analog scope designers expected to provide visible tracing of a level
change which was used to trigger that trace - in other words, the deflection path
was to be provided with some delay, compared to the triggering path.

So finally, I should mention that users expect to keep the highest frequency of
interest within the scope deflection amp passband, before the roll off onset.

You have a rule of thumb in mind that the bandwidth should cope with perhaps
five times the frequency represented by the signals repetition time, at least,
which is a different kettle of fish. I can mention briefly that the parameter of
prime interest these days is sampling rate - and that applies to digital scopes.

Brian W