Re: [Phys-l] the first law of motion

_____

From: Arlyn DeBruyckere [mailto:Arlyn.DeBruyckere@hutch.k12.mn.us]
To: Forum for Physics Educators [mailto:phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu]
Sent: Tue, 01 Nov 2011 14:16:46 -0400
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] the first law of motion

I have to agree with JD that WHEN TALKING WITH STUDENTS it is NOT fine
to have a "tacit assumption" that we know there is a resistive force
present.
Agreed. We're not talking to students, though.

Students generally don't know this. Many adults don't know
this.
Agreed. We do, however. I think that the OP was talking about this with that understanding of the audience.

jg