Re: [Phys-l] NCLB: End It, Don't Mend It

On 31 Oct 2011 at 12:03, John Denker wrote:

Seriously, I suggest we enlist the unions to demand *more* professionalism,
with all the privileges and responsibilities that that entails.

John,

I love it when we are in agreement. There are many unions in which professionalism is still
promulgated and workers take pride in the quality of their work. I'm sure also that there are teachers
that do take pride in their abilities to reach even the most difficult students in the most difficult teachng
situations. All of this is consistent with what I wrote earlier, that if our culture valued learning (more
than it did, say, pop culture), that the educational environment would improve and teachers would then
be able to feel that professionalism again.

David