Re: [Phys-l] NCLB: End It, Don't Mend It

On Oct 31, 2011, at 1:25 PM, David Marx wrote:

We also have unionized teachers that may not be able to be fired if they are
demonstrably incompetent. ...

Howdy,

Let's see... a teacher doesn't get tenure on being hired. There are usually 3--7years of teaching and being evaluated before receiving tenure. It seems to me that it is the administration that isn't doing its job when poor teachers manage to get tenure.

I've been retired from teaching at a Community College for >10years now and one of the reasons I retired when I did was that the administration gave an instructor tenure when many instructors, including me, noted that he wasn't doing his job competently and the students work in other courses suffered from that. It's not tenure that's bad but giving it to folks that are demonstrably incompetent before they have it.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)