Re: [Phys-l] NCLB: End It, Don't Mend It

On 10/30/2011 05:03 PM, LaMontagne, Bob wrote:
People have to realize that there are school systems in certain
parts of this country that are so bad that "crisis" does not suffice
to describe them. [A]

NCLB may be the wrong way to affect accountability in schools, but
something should be ready to be put in it's place if the plug is
pulled.

It is not self-evident that we need any such "something". Also,
asking for "something" is a bit vague.

1) Why should we reject the null hypotheses?

2a) Why should anyone think that NCLB (also known as ECLBE) or
anything like it will help the schools mentioned in item [A] above?
I see not the slightest evidence of this.

2b) Even if, hypothetically, it might help those schools, it is
very hard to believe that it will come anywhere near outweighing
the harm that it is obviously doing to all the other schools.

Right now the only proposals I know of are
*) Continue ECLBE ("every child left behind equally)" as-is.
*) Reauthorize it with minor modifications and not-very-helpful
"waivers".
*) Just get rid of it entirely. This is the null hypothesis.
This would leave all decisions about testing, accountability,
etc. up to the individual states and local districts.

Of these, getting rid of it entirely is clearly the best option.
If you have another option, please fill us in on the specifics.
A lot of people would be very very eagerly interested.

I particularly ask all the "libertarians" and "conservatives"
why the ideas of decentralization, elimination of federal
regulation, states' rights, don't-tread-on-me, et cetera should
not apply to this issue.