From: "LaMontagne, Bob" <RLAMONT@providence.edu>
Date: Sun, Oct 30, 2011 7:04 pm
Subject: [Phys-l] NCLB: End It, Don't Mend It
To: "Forum for Physics Educators" <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>

It's not about the teachers - it's about the students. NCLB may be the wrong way to affect accountability in schools, but something should be ready to be put in it's place if the plug is pulled.

As I have posted in the past, we have schools in RI that have a mere 6% proficiency rate in english and a 2% proficiency rate in math. Even teaching to the test has to be better than what is being done in these schools at the moment. People have to realize that there are school systems in certain parts of this country that are so bad that "crisis" does not suffice to describe them.

Bob at PC