Re: [Phys-l] science on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

On Oct 27, 2011, at 4:16 PM, David Marx wrote:

John and all,

I'm afraid that using The Daily Show to promote science is not my cup of tea. It's unfortunate that
anyone would let anything this guy says sway their opinion. He is an entertainer, not a journalist and
not a serious political pundit. I do have a colleague that has used segments from the show in his
introductory physics courses, but in talking with students in one of the classes about the clips, they
didn't find them to be all that funny nor educaitonal.

Jon Stewart actually READS every book by every author he interviews on the show. He is a very intelligent guy, beside being a comedian and sarcastic wit. The show has more accurate information in that half hour than all of a certain network does in a week. Then if you hold on for Colbert, there is another very intelligent view of the national and international scene presented in a different method of humor and wit. Both shows are probably the best satire and commentary on tv today.