Re: [Phys-l] science on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

John and all,

I'm afraid that using The Daily Show to promote science is not my cup of tea. It's unfortunate that
anyone would let anything this guy says sway their opinion. He is an entertainer, not a journalist and
not a serious political pundit. I do have a colleague that has used segments from the show in his
introductory physics courses, but in talking with students in one of the classes about the clips, they
didn't find them to be all that funny nor educaitonal.

The work done by the researchers doesn't "debunk climategate," per se. Jon Stewart also makes a
big deal that the work was funded by the Koch Brothers. In fact, the foundation for one of the Koch
Brothers donated $150 000 of the nearly $700 000 spent on the project. Bill Gates' foundation also
made a substantial donation. So what?

After having read the Wall Street Journal OpEd and looked at the project website, I am glad that the
researchers have made all of their data and computer code available for scrutiny. Really, their findings
do not provide any new inoformation compared to what is already known in the literature.

Regards,
David