From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu on behalf of Peter Schoch
Sent: Thu 10/13/2011 7:33 AM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: [Phys-l] States of matter?

I find myself in the middle of a heated debate by our Chemists. Several of them gives the states of matter as: solid liquid, gas, plasma. The opposing group vehemently objects to the inclusion of plasma as a state of matter, as they claim it is just a special case of gases.

Why they think that I, as a physicist, would be a great arbiter of this is a mystery to me. After a bit of research I am leaning toward the traditional "solid, liquid, gas" argument; however, before sticking my head in the lion's mouth I thought I would solicit opinions here.

Thanks,
Peter