Re: [Phys-l] relativity misconception #437

Hi,

John D. wrote:

"Continuing that thought: Another thing I don't like is
teaching that depends on subtle nuances in the terminology.
In particular, even if we could get every teacher and every
textbook to oh-so-carefully say "relative to Moe's coordinate
system" rather than "relative to Moe", I'm not so sure that
students would appreciate the distinction.

Therefore I am seriously considering changing my own
terminology, so as to write Moe out of the script entirely,
and instead talk about "the redwich coordinate system"
and "the bluewich coordinate system" or something like
that."

Here are my two cents: I would not recommend changing the terminology as I think that the situation becomes too sterile for an average student. I would guess that the motivation to tackle the situation is higher if Moe/Joe terminology is used instead of just coordinate systems. However, it makes a good lesson to include the warning of this possible misconception (both for a teacher and student!).

Regards,

Antti

Antti Savinainen, Ph.D., B.Ed.
Adjunct Professor (University of Jyväskylä)
Senior Lecturer in Physics and Mathematics
Kuopion Lyseo High School
Finland
E-mail: <antti.savinainen@kuopio.fi>
Website: <http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/savant/>

Viesti on tarkastettu roskapostinsuodatus- ja virustorjuntaohjelmistolla.