Re: [Phys-l] Galileo was wrong

In the near field, I was referring to an object close to a magnifying glass.
So different parts at different distances would have different virtual
magnifications. Actually in the near field with a small object you can see
the back side of an object, something that I learned fairly recently.

Yes he could have verified constant magnification, and I would have been
surprised if he had not.

Incidentally I saw HS seniors laying a magnifying glass flat on an object to
look at it. I had to tell them to move it away to magnify it. Obviously
they didn't understand how to use them. Eventually I gave up and gave them
bug boxes setup to create the correct distance. Haven't they ever used a
magnifying glass?

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

I'm evidently stupid or misinformed, as I would write different parts of
the object produce different sizes in the image. Also I thought near and
far field referred to the inverse square law where it fails near the
object or antenna. Generally this is within a distance of approximately
the size of the antenna.

Another definition is at far field the diffraction pattern differs little
w/ that at infinity. W/ a microscope a I can envision inconstancy, but
not a telescope.

bc

p.s. Galileo coulda verified that at least on the earth his telescope had
constant magnification by using objects scaled according to their distance
appeared (obscured each other) equal(ly).