Re: [Phys-l] Galileo was wrong

I'm evidently stupid or misinformed, as I would write different parts of the object produce different sizes in the image. Also I thought near and far field referred to the inverse square law where it fails near the object or antenna. Generally this is within a distance of approximately the size of the antenna.

Another definition is at far field the diffraction pattern differs little w/ that at infinity. W/ a microscope a I can envision inconstancy, but not a telescope.

bc

p.s. Galileo coulda verified that at least on the earth his telescope had constant magnification by using objects scaled according to their distance appeared (obscured each other) equal(ly).