Re: [Phys-l] H. Sapiens

At 21:42 -0400 09/22/2010, Richard Tarara wrote:

Nuclear winter requires a reasonably large exchange of weapons. At least
for now, we seem to be moving well away from that possibility but with an
increasing probability of one or two weapons (Iran against Israel followed
by a reprisal--or a suitcase bomb followed by ??). Nobody much worries
about 'nuclear winter' any more.

A recent study published in Science (IIRC) indicated that a nuclear exchange in South Asia, while perhaps not rising to the level of a full-fledged "nuclear winter" would be a tolerably good approximation, with significant world-wide consequences.

We may not have to worry about a massive nuclear exchange any more (although that is certainly still within the realm of possible accidents), but something like the exchange of 100 or so weapons between India and Pakistan or India and China is not something to be ignored, and, as indicated, its world-wide impact would be significant.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
mailto:hugh@ieer.org