Re: [Phys-l] Galileo was wrong

At 8:47 PM -0400 9/22/10, LaMontagne, Bob wrote:
My recollection is that the "flat" part of the bowl has to be so large that it follows the curvature of the earth. I recall reading that Galileo's argument was that if an object got further from the earth's center it slowed down and if it got closer it sped up. But if it stayed the same distance from the center it wouldn't change speed. He hadn't totally left the Aristotelian world view.

This sounds rather 'modern' with PE and such.

Aristotle said it should reach it's 'natural' state of rest.
nicht Wahr?