From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
[mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf
Of curtis osterhoudt
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 9:57 AM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] H. Sapiens

If they say the population growth rate is "x% *per year*",
then, yeah :) Hell, for bacteria, it might easily be 1% per
minute, given a rich environment.

Of course you're right: each of the expressions are
approximations. I gave
the "70 rule-of thumb". 72 is also commonly used, because it
has several
integral divisors. Once one starts quibbling about using 69
instead of 70, one
might as well use the _proper_ expressions. Too, the error
introduced with the
approximations is quite manageable, and is usually lost in
the noise of mutation
rates, environmental constraints, and so on (for "simple"
populations of
bacteria or fish, say), and absolutely swamped by things like
migrations and
societal changes (for humans, say).

"The four points of the compass be logic, knowledge, wisdom
and the unknown.
Some do bow in that final direction. Others advance upon it.
To bow before the
one is to lose sight of the three. I may submit to the
unknown, but never to the
unknowable." ~~Roger Zelazny, in "Lord of Light"