From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of curtis osterhoudt
Sent: Thursday, 16 September 2010 1:23 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] H. Sapiens

Remember the simple rule-of-thumb: If something is growing at x% per time y, the doubling time is roughly 70/x to double in y units. That is, a percentage growth rate of (say) 1% leads to a doubling of population in about 70 years. That's _scary_ to me, for _any_ population.

"The four points of the compass be logic, knowledge, wisdom and the unknown.
Some do bow in that final direction. Others advance upon it. To bow before the one is to lose sight of the three. I may submit to the unknown, but never to the unknowable." ~~Roger Zelazny, in "Lord of Light"