As far as physics is concerned, Red plus Green simply makes Red plus Green. EM radiation of multiple wavelengths can pass through the same space and remain distinct (otherwise we'd have only one radio station to listen to). Most objects that look Yellow are actually reflecting Red and Green. Color Addition does not belong in physics books! It is cognitively at odds with other basic information that has been taught.

As far as refraction goes, it makes no sense to describe a light wave as having a width, where you can grab one end and slow it down, while the other end rotates around as if it were a stick. We could simply use the shortest time of travel, or just teach it through simple observation and measurement, and then give Snell's law to quantify the relationship without a real explanation.

Scott

On 9/10/2010 12:00 PM, phys-l-request@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu wrote:

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 18:45:08 -0400
From: "Ann Reagan"<areagan@csmd.edu>
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] "Unlearning"
To:<phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>

Re: Comment: "Why do HS teachers insist on teaching what must be unlearned?"

You mean, why teach things we all KNOW are wrong, like F = ma or P = mv? Or why teach that thermal expansion is linear , or that air obeys the ideal gas law? Perhaps because in a wide range of important cases, it gives a useful working approximation that describes the world in which we live.

Dr. Ann M. Reagan
Adjunct Faculty
Department of Math/Physics/Engineering
College of Southern Maryland, Leonardtown Campus