[Phys-l] toy models (was: "Unlearning")

Pursuant to this thread, a small soapbox:

The so-called toy model is a critical tool for the physicist. It is what in fact often will separate the physicist from the other scientist.

For an x-ray signal processing project I have been working on for about 18 months now, I had no idea whether the approach to solution was viable. There are still questions but since ultimately the design and understanding was/is going to be based on a great deal of numerical computation, it was/is critical (in my mind) to create toy models to further my understanding and check my results.

Just because it's a "toy" model doesn't mean it's unsophisticated. As development proceeds, the toys become more sophisticated. But they are still idealized in just such a way that I have confidence I'm still going in the right direction.

The toy model has an additional benefit in applied science when outsiders are involved. Say you have to present results or ideas, to another scientist, or perhaps a project manager or even CEO - they will sadly expect, and often get, the sort of presentation that makes their eyes glaze over and could leave them wondering if their workers are doing anything they are supposed to. Instead, I build a presentation around an appropriate toy model, and using it, try to convince them of the *plausibility* of my approach and my results. Adjust according to the audience, but never be afraid to dumb it down a bit - if the CEO for example walks out *believing* what the heck he was just told, you've started to make yourself invaluable, not to mention reinforcing that you are on the right track. Some call it "capturing the imagination," and wrt students, this is where you can either lose, or hook them, for life.

I'll unfairly beat up on "other scientists" now. If I'm in on a presentation or discussion that I'm not following, I try to invent a toy model on the spot and question thusly. If the presenter can immediately grasp what I'm suggesting, or tell me why my toy model is in fact inappropriate, even on merely a plausibility level, my confidence (personally as well as on behalf of the idea presented) goes way up. Not to mention, I feel I can then contribute a real comment! If on the other hand I get a blank look or just a "well but the equations here say...," I don't know for sure that anything is suspicious but my guard sure is up.

I don't know how to transfer this notion to students in a way that it will stick, other than to capture their imagination with the power of the toy. The marching band might capture the imagination, but if it's of limited plausibility that you know will ultimately do a disservice or worse, come up with a better toy.

As an undergraduate and even a graduate student, I was oblivious to this discussion. Had too much to do, physics and otherwise, and was too immature scientifically to appreciate it. If anything, it must be worse today. Like the CEO above though, it only takes one powerful experience to advance a cause.

Stefan Jeglinski