Re: [Phys-l] "Unlearning"

Much of science teaching involves teaching about models: scientific models ,or curriculum models of scientific models. theories, principles, or using teaching models designed to introduce ideas.

Often, as John implies, these models do a good job as a first approximation, or a starting point for understanding, or as useful heuristics in limited ranges of application etc.

Sometimes, however, teaching models are just misleading.

e.g. why do some teachers give pupils the impression that chemical change occurs because atoms want/need to fill their electron shells/obtain octets. Complete nonsense of course, but at secondary level we do not provide a good physical explanation. (Why? they learn about charge and force?)

Other models are useful, e.g. a shells model of the atom, although limited. I've strongly argued that the problem here is that pupils get the impression they've been taught things that are wrong that they then need to unlearn. (Which of course is not actually possible.) We should be teaching these ideas explicitly as models, which have uses, but sometimes need to be adapted or supplanted: rather than giving pupils the impression that what they learnt before was wrong and a waste of time (or is that just a UK tendency?) That would be truer to the nature of science and less frustrating. It might help them make sense of why the quanticles in a solid are close packed to explain its properties (hardness, fixed shape, rigidity etc) AND YET in explaining thermal expansion the quanticles in a solid move further apart!

Teaching models which aim to get across ideas by analogy, but are not actually even approximations, are more tricky: and again I think we need to teach students to appreciate the role of metaphor and analogy in learning, and then be explicit about these models when we use them.

e.g. does anyone here teach about the change of direction during refraction in terms of ranks of marchers (e.g. a marching band) or vehicles with spatially separated wheels moving from one surface to another (gravel to tarmac etc)? Can a ray of light really be considered analogous to something with a definite broadness as needed for that analogy to work?

Keith

--
Dr. Keith S. Taber
http://people.pwf.cam.ac.uk/kst24/

Editor: Science Education for Gifted Learners (2007: Routledge)

Author: Classroom-based Research and Evidence-based Practice: A Guide for Teachers (2007: SAGE Publications)

Author: Progressing Science Education (2009: Springer)

to join an electronic discussion list on
diagnosing and addressing learning difficulties in science, see
http://people.pwf.cam.ac.uk/kst24/ScienceLearningDoctors.html

to join an electronic discussion list on
learning in science
please visit
http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/learning-science-concepts