Re: [Phys-l] bound vectors ... or not

On 09/07/2010 09:45 AM, Edmiston, Mike wrote:
I am not sure it is necessary to specify the "point of application"
of a force vector. I think it may be sufficient to specify a point
in space that lies on the "line of action" aka the "line of force" of
the force. The point of application could be the point that fixes
the force vector in space, but requiring that specific point is
probably overly restrictive. Once any point along the line of action
is specified, (along with the magnitude and direction of the force
vector itself), the specific point of application becomes
irrelevant.

This is not my idea. It is something I recently discovered from
reading textbooks in "engineering physics."

1) On the one hand, if all we want to do is keep track
of the momentum of a point particle, it suffices to
specify the force.

2) On the other hand, if we want to keep track of the
momentum and angular momentum of a rigid body, then
it is necessary and sufficient to specify the force
and the line of action.

3) On the third hand, if we are doing fluid dynamics,
we need the force and the actual /point/ of application.
Pushing on "this" parcel is different from pushing on
"that" parcel, even if they lie along the same line of
action.

You pays your money and you takes your choices.

There's an obvious pedagogical sequence. Our notion of
"dynamical state" grows more sophisticated as we progress
from point particles to rigid bodies to fluids.