Re: [Phys-l] Friendship trumps competance Was: Re: WHY VALUEADDEDTESTING IS A BUST.

Crawford elementary has demographics that are FAR below state average and have results far above state average and yet "The affluent areas are doing even much better"? That's not how averages work. Of course you can find affluent schools that are doing well too. But the point was that Ravitch said that poverty is the cause of low performance. Crawford Elementary is one piece of evidence that she is wrong. There is something else about schools with a high population of poor students that causes the poor performance, not the poverty itself. I'd recommend reading the 90/90/90 research and two books entitled, "It's Being Done" and "How It's Being Done."

Here's the link to the 99%: http://www.greatschools.org/cgi-bin/tx/other/3378#students

I've been watching this school for years and it has been around 99% for several years now. I've verified the data with the state of Texas website and I have spoken with the elementary science coordinator for the Houston Independent School District who also verified it. After 1998, another school in the district was closed and many of the students transferred to Crawford. Their data dipped as a result because it will take several years to catch those students up.

Being from California, I can speak confidently about our schools. You will NOT find an affluent school in the entire Riverside or San Bernardino county that has similar results to Sixth Street Prep. Temecula is the most affluent city in Riverside California. Here are the results from Temecula Elementary School:

Hispanic and African American: 50% State: 56% 6th Street: 90%
English Learners: 26% State: 24% 6th Street: 36%
Reduced-Price Lunch: 46% State: 51% 6th Street: 84%

5th grade:
Language Arts: 72% State: 58% 6th Street: 96%
Math: 64% State: 60% 6th Street: 100%
Science: 61% State: 56% 6th Street: 96%

6th street has a more challenging demographic in every category and out-performs Temecula Elementary in every category. Poverty is NOT the cause of poor performance in school. There might be a correlation between the two, but not a causal relationship.

I wouldn't give too much credence to the greatschools.org rankings. The Crawford Elementary described here is given a "5" rating whereas the highly affluent Crawford Elementary in Crawford, Texas with slightly better test scores received a "10."

Thanks for keeping the conversation civil. This topic can get very emotional.

Mike

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Clement" <clement@hal-pc.org>