Re: [Phys-l] CO2 Doesn't Heat the Atmosphere ...

On 08/31/2010 01:09 PM, Folkerts, Timothy J wrote:

My first impression is that this statement is correct as far as it goes,

No, it's not even a little bit correct.

but that the CO2 is NOT in LTE with the N2.

And that's why.

There is a photon gas that is not in thermal equilibrium with the
physical gases in the atmosphere. The photons CAN transfer energy to
the CO2. This means the CO2 is NOT in thermal equilibrium with the N2
(the CO2 always being slightly warmer due to the interaction with the
"hot" photon gas). This allows the CO2 to indeed transfer energy to the
N2 and provide a warming to the atmosphere.

Quite so.

If we were so foolish as to accept Vonk's notion of LTE,
it would be impossible for _anything_ to heat _anything_.

When studying any kind of heat transport, you may wish to
restrict attention to NEAR-equilibrium conditions, but if
you set things up so that everything is always fully in
equilibrium, you have thrown the baby out with the bathwater.

I call particular attention to Vonk's categorical and emphatic
statement that *These rates are exactly equal.*