Re: [Phys-l] Oscilloscope Software that uses USB Soundcards?

The oscilloscope part is easy (even WinAmp, Foobar2k, and Windows Media Player
will do such visualizations). The function generator, though, I'm not sure
about.

In my lab, we often do demonstrations for visitors, mainly of Doppler signals,
so we need the spectrogram (short-time Fourier transform) capabilities more than
the oscilloscope display part. I've found that Spectrum Lab is very powerful,
and have finally got the display how I like it (it has the nice option of
exporting all your color settings, filters, etc. so that different computers
work the same). http://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/spectra1.html

I see, too, that it has a signal generator built in, but I've never used it
myself.

Pros: Free; VERY powerful; customizable; lots of visualizations; has a signal
generator.
Cons: Took me a while to learn some of the features; seems to suck a lot of
CPU power (especially on an old laptop).

As a species, we are forever sticking our fingers into the electric socket of
the Universe to see what'll happen next. It's a trait that'll either save us or
kill us, but by god it's what makes us human beings. I'd rather be in the
company of people who look at Mars than people who contemplate humanity's navel
-- other worlds are better than fluff. ~~Sir Terence David John Pratchett