[Phys-l] Does Problem-Based Learning Work for Physics Instruction #2

Some subscribers Phys-L might be interested in a recent post "Does Problem-Based Learning Work for Physics Instruction #2 [Hake (2010c)].

The abstract reads:

ABSTRACT: In response to my post "Does Problem-Based Learning Work for Physics Instruction" [Hake (2010b)], John Cowan (2010) of the PBL list wrote: "Brian Bowe, at Dublin Institute of Technology (DIT), showed PBL to be effective in Physics in a far from favourable departmental climate." Google searches provided links to information on DIT's "Physics Education Research Group," the PBL program at DIT, and "Maggi's book."

To access the complete 10 kB post please click on <http://bit.ly/c820g2>.
Honorary Member, Curmudgeon Lodge of Deventer, The Netherlands
President, PEdants for Definitive Academic References which Recognize the
Invention of the Internet (PEDARRII)
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi>
<http://HakesEdStuff.blogspot.com>
<http://iub.academia.edu/RichardHake>

"Science should be visualized as progressing from problem to problem - to problems of ever increasing depth. Problems crop up especially when we are disappointed in our expectations, or when our theories involve us in difficulties, in contradictions; and these may arise either within a theory, or between two different theories, or as the result of a clash between our theories and our observations. Thus science starts from problems, and not from observations; though observations may give rise to a problem, especially if they are unexpected; that is to say, if they clash with our expectations or theories."
Karl R. Popper (1902-1994) in "Conjectures and Refutations."

REFERENCES [URL's shortened by <http://bit.ly/>]
Hake, R.R. 2010b. "Does Problem-Based Learning Work for Physics Instruction," online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/cprmLW>. Post of 23 Aug 2010 14:14:15-0700. The abstract and link to the complete post were also transmitted to various discussion lists.

Hake, R.R. 2010c. "Does Problem-Based Learning Work for Physics Instruction #2," online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/c820g2>. Post of 24 Aug 2010 14:49:46 -0700. The abstract and link to the complete post are also being transmitted to various discussion lists.

Popper, K. 2002. Conjectures and Refutations" Routledge; 2 edition. Amazon.com information at <http://amzn.to/b3pSor>. Note the searchable "Look Inside" feature. First published in 1963.