[Phys-l] Isothermal and Internal Energy

My question:
>>> Aside from phase transitions, are there other isothermal processes that result in an internal energy change? <<<

It is easy to find web pages that forget about phase transitions and state that dT=0 => dU=0. I have also seen (at <http://www.roymech.co.uk/Related/Thermos/Thermos_Thermodynamics.html>), "It can be easily proved that the internal energy of a fluid depends on the temperature alone and not upon changes in the pressure or volume."

Although I'm not up on my thermodynamics of solids, I suppose that the point there is that a solid can harbor strain internal energy with no change in temperature. Do I have that right? Are there other examples? (I have a suspicion that magnetic fields might provide another example...)

Thanks,
--
Dr. James McLean phone: (585) 245-5897
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy FAX: (585) 245-5116