[Phys-l] Dukenfield's Law & Campbell's Law #2

Some subscribers Phys-L might be interested in "Dukenfield's Law & Campbell's Law #2" [Hake (2010)].

ABSTRACT: An earlier post "Dukenfield's Law & Campbell's Law" [Hake (2010)] initiated a 31-post thread on EvalTalk which may be accessed at <http://bit.ly/cqINPz> and <http://bit.ly/anwfoY>. The first response was by Art Burke who wrote: "Campbell said that corruption of quantitative indicators was a problem to be solved - he did not argue for abandoning quantitative indicators in the evaluation of social policies." And three years earlier Burke had written (slightly edited): "Nichols & Berliner (N&B) (2007) propose a hodge-podge of alternatives that they claim are more 'reasonable and fair' than the present testing and accountability rules [such as] 'formative assessments,' . . . . . I will certainly support alternatives that both reduce unwarranted stress on school staffs and preserve the protections for parents and children built into NCLB, but I don't see how this could happen with N&B's proposals."" I wonder if Burke would support "formative assessments" as they have been utilized in science education?

To access the complete 22 kB post please click on <http://bit.ly/d3FrI8>.
Honorary Member, Curmudgeon Lodge of Deventer, The Netherlands
President, PEdants for Definitive Academic References which Recognize the
Invention of the Internet (PEDARRII)
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi>
<http://HakesEdStuff.blogspot.com>
<http://iub.academia.edu/RichardHake>

"What we assess is what we value. We get what we assess,
and if we don't assess it, we won't get it."
Lauren Resnick [quoted by Grant Wiggins (1990)]

REFERENCES [URL's shortened by <http://bit.ly/>]
Hake, R.R. 2010. "Dukenfield's Law & Campbell's Law #2," online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/d3FrI8>. Post of 22 Aug 2010 15:31:31-0700 to AERA-L and Net-Gold. The abstract and link to the complete post are also being transmitted to various discussion lists.

Wiggins, G. 1990. "The Truth May Make You Free, But the Test May Keep You Imprisoned: Toward Assessment Worthy of the Liberal Arts," AAHE Assessment Forum: 17-31; online at <http://bit.ly/a7g09T>.