Re: [Phys-l] battle plagiarism

On Jul 29, 2010, at 16:12 , Peter Schoch wrote:

Teaching at the Community College level, in NJ, I can say that most of our students do not know how to use single quotes, double quotes, proper citations or ellipses when they write. The use of e.g., i.e., ibid, op cit, etc. are totally foreign to them!!

I remember learning about ibid and op cit many years ago, I think in middle school, and I never really understood them. I notice, however, that I have *never* seen them used in any journal article I have ever read, and have never felt the need to use them myself.

i.e. and e.g., however, are useful...and I don't remember ever being taught about them.

seems kinda backwards to me...

bb

--
Brian Blais