[Phys-l] WARNING POLITICAL: This is what prop. 13 and the Republicans have done to California Fwd: Broken Pipes, Unhealthy Schools: Break the Cycle of Disrepair

Is this (my subject) fact or opinion?

bc wonders about the 47th and + states.

Found it:

Research Center: Per-pupil Expenditures Approaching $10,000

assuming accurate.

Begin forwarded message:

cut

View this email online.

Protect Student Health & Safety: Repair Our Schools Now

More about ERP

The Emergency Repair Program (ERP) was established in 2004 as the result of a lawsuit brought by the ACLU of Southern California (Williams v. Cailfornia). The suit charged that California’s public schools failed to provide all students with basic necessities for educational opportunity including clean, safe and functional classrooms.

Since its inception, the program has helped create a safer environment in hundreds of classrooms across the state, fixing gas leaks, unsafe electrical systems and clogged sewer lines. But now this vital program is under threat. Tell our legislators to fund the Emergency Repair Program.

Education is the shame of California. The state ranks 46th in the country in per pupil spending. Massive teacher layoffs threaten the promise of a basic education at some of the region’s poorest schools and now the legislature wants to end a critical safety net program that keeps schoolrooms safe for children.

The Emergency Repair Program (ERP) provides the neediest low-performing schools, often in the poorest neighborhoods, with funds to make repairs to facilities that pose an emergency or urgent threat to the health or safety of students and faculty. The program seeks to remedy the problem of cash-strapped schools paying for urgent repairs at the expense of other critical repairs, keeping the schools in a “cycle of disrepair.”

Tell our elected representatives to make our schools safe today!

In Compton Unified School District, the program helped restore heat to classrooms, and in Santa Ana Unified, the ERP allowed the district to fix water and sewer lines that had shut down drinking fountains and restrooms. But the program has not been funded for three years and is out of money,leaving thousands of repair projects stalled statewide. These include schools with leaking roofs, failed fire alarms and some without heat in the winter or air conditioning in the blistering summer months.

If we don't act now, our kids will face even more dangerous schools when the school year starts. Make sure the legislature funds this urgently needed program.

Thank you for all you do,

The ACLU of Southern California Action Team

cut
The ACLU was founded to defend and secure the rights granted by the Bill of Rights. Since 1923, the ACLU of Southern California has been on the leading edge of liberty. Find out more about how you can support us.

Are you a fan of the ACLU of Southern California? Check us out on Facebook or Twitter!

This email was sent by the ACLU of Southern CA to bernardcleyet@redshift.com. Forward this message to a friend.
We value your privacy. Read our Privacy Statement online. If you no longer wish to receive these updates or would like to modify your subscription preferences, visit the Subscriber Center.

© American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California
1313 West Eighth St. · Los Angeles, CA 90017
www.aclu-sc.org · 213-977-9500