Re: [Phys-l] experimentation 101

Last summer I measured track densities on 40 CR-39 surfaces. And had three outliers (12,000, 200,000, and 15,000 tr/cm^2). The track densities on remaining 37 surfaces were between 3 and 31 (mean=16 tr/ cm^2 and std.dev=8 tr/cm^2). Three days ago I showed the draft of our paper to a statistician. She said that she is against ignoring the outliers. Data, she said, should be respected. That is a tricky issue; on one hand this and on the other hand that. I am rejecting the outliers, blaming a possibility of migrating alpha radioactive contamination. My attempts to confirm this hypothesis were not successful.

Ludwik