Re: [Phys-l] probability problem

Good discussion so far (at least what I've seen on the digest). Now consider this:

1. The dealer makes sure to deal you one ace. Then he randomly deals you any other different card from the deck.

2. The dealer deals two different cards randomly. But he discards the whole hand (repeatedly) until you get at least one ace.

Are the odds different for these two outcomes if you repeat each of them billions of times? I'd say yes, by close to a factor of two.

---
Carl E Mungan, Assoc Prof of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
Naval Academy Stop 9c, 572C Holloway Rd, Annapolis MD 21402-5002