Re: [Phys-l] probability problem

You're sitting across from a dealer. He shuffles a single deck of
cards and deals you two cards face down. He then looks at them
without showing them to you. Consider the following three distinct
scenarios:

If ones want to do simple counting (paper and pencil version of JM's spreadsheet), imagine a deck that has 3 suits (spade/heart/club), and only the Ace and 2. You can then actually write out all the combinations (30 deals). I did this and then generalized to 52 cards and 4 suits. Solution far below.

IOW, what odds would you take to bet on it?

I do have a quibble here: I understand the intent of the rephrased question, but in practice it depends on what odds are given as to what bet I would take. A perfectly fair game pays out in inverse proportion to the probabilities (1 in 10 odds pays 10:1). But like in Vegas, the dealer might give out odds that match the gambler's intuition but not the cold math. I would have to ask the dealer what odds he was paying on each scenario, and judge whether each scenario was in my favor or his. And then, just like in Vegas, I'd probably place my money on the wrong one, because of a stupid hunch :-)

Also, I'd like to see the JDenkerian approach, wherein one measures entropy by asking (for example, I think) what is the fewest number of binary questions required to discover the extent of the dealer's knowledge (am I even in the ballpark here?). In bits, this should be somehow related (inversely?) to each one of the probabilities calculated. For example, in scenario 1, I don't know how many questions need to be asked, but I'm pretty sure it's the highest number of all the scenarios. I'm sitting here now trying to figure that all out, but it could take me weeks of confusion.

Stefan Jeglinski

=================================

1. He tells you nothing.

short deck: (3/6) * (2/5) = 6/30 [1]
full deck: (4/52) * (3/51) = .00452

[1] only 6 hands out of 30 have 2 aces

3. He says, "Wow, you've got the ace of spades."

It's either the 1st card or the 2nd card. To that we can assign a probability of 1 because you have been told so. The dealer may know that you have a second ace, but he hasn't given any information about it, so you may in a sense assume that he doesn't know. Thus:

short deck: 1 * (2/5) = (2/5) * 1 = 4/10 [2]
full deck: 1 * (3/51) = (3/51) * 1 = .05882

[2] only 10 hands have Ace of spades, of which only 4 have 2 Aces

2. He tells you, "You've got at least one ace."

This one's tricky. You don't know if you have 2, but you do know you have 1, so from your point of view you might think the answer is the same as for 3. But the dealer is telling you he may actually further know that you have 2 aces. There is more information but it is not straightforward to measure (so I just counted):

short deck: 6/24 [3]
full deck : 12/396 = 1/33 [4]

[3] 2*3*1*3+6 (24) hands out of 30 have at least 1 ace,
of which only 6 have both

[4] 2*4*12*4+12 (396) hands out of 51*52 have at least 1 ace,
of which only 12 have both