Re: [Phys-l] how to explain relativity

On 06/17/2010 09:17 AM, John Mallinckrodt wrote:

We can represent this
using a super-simple spacetime diagram:

A' B'
/ /
/ /
| |
| |
A B

Indeed, it is precisely this spacetime diagram that establishes the
constancy of the separation in the original rest frame.

So far so good.

The initial length of the rope is the proper distance between
A and B. The final length of the rope is the proper distance
between A' and B'. We can easily evaluate both of these lengths
in the lab frame.

Yup.

But proper length is a Lorentz scalar, so
it is the same in /any/ frame.

D'oh! I was afraid this might be coming. Much mischief results from
casual use of the idea of "proper length." Better to stay away from
it. It is the spacetime interval that is Lorentz invariant. The
proper length of an object is determined by finding the interval
between two events that take place at the endpoints of an object *at
the same time* in the rest frame of the object. In other frames, of
course, those events are not simultaneous.

That is not the definition of proper length, nor the only
way of measuring proper length. In particular, in this
case there is no such thing as "the" rest frame of the
object. We can -- with some difficulty -- restate this
crude idea into terms that make sense.

In all generality, the fact is that in spacetime, an event
is an event, and the proper distance between two events is
a Lorentz scalar. This scalar can be evaluated in any
convenient reference frame.

For this problem, I find it convenient to use the lab frame.
Event A' is an event. Event B' is an event. The interval
between A' and B' is an invariant scalar. This interval is
particularly easy to evaluate in the lab frame, since the
two events are simultaneous, i.e. they lie along a contour
of constant t.

They also (by construction) have the same proper time τ.

What's more, we can construct an entire contour of congruent
/local/ τ values, by interpolating many congruent copies of
the assigned proper acceleration profile a(τ). If you do
things correctly, the rope will lie along this contour.
Each molecule of the rope will have its own notion of proper
time, but if we make these congruent, as we should, then we
can say -- in a loose but not fatally loose sense -- that
we are measuring the proper length along a contour of constant
proper time, keeping in mind that each molecule of the rope
has its own notion of proper time, which we have carefully
constructed in accordance with the "congruent motion" Ansatz.

Having done all this work, we find that the proper length of
the rope is |A'-B'| which is (by construction) the same as