Re: [Phys-l] solar panel safety revisited

I read the PDF file from the second link that Brian Whatcott referenced (the first link does not work). That second link is a PDF file that is 149 pages long. The PDF file I created is 3 pages long.

It seems to me that trying to answer some questions without making the questioner "read the whole book" is one of the things this list is all about. It also seems to me that pointing out some of the more important things, including describing some pitfalls and common errors, then letting the student do further work as necessary, is a part of what teaching is all about. If I am worried that a student might sue me someday because I didn't explain something exactly right, or my explanation was incomplete, or I somehow misled the student, then I shouldn't convey any factual information to students. I should just assign reading in the textbook, and give exams on what they read, and let it go at that. Then the students can sue the textbook writer and publisher, because the author and publisher probably have deep pockets.

Upon reading the PDF at the end of Brian's link, I found .I had mentioned all the salient features that needed addressed, I indeed mentioned NEC which I hope would imply that one might want to check out NEC or state or local codes before commencing on work where some sort of building codes would be expected to apply. Specifically I mentioned the need to ground the equipment cases; I mentioned the need to ground one side of the AC output of the inverter (this wire would then become the "neutral wire;" I mentioned the need to ground one of the DC lines to the inverter if the open-circuit DC voltage is 50 volts or more; I mentioned that some inverters don't allow this and therefore might not be acceptable; I mentioned grounding for lightning protection; I mentioned possible ground-loop problems; I mentioned fire hazards if grounding is not done properly; I mentioned a fusible link in the DC circuit; I mentioned the possibility of GFCI for the AC output from the inverter.

In short there wasn't much in the 149-page document that I didn't mention in my 3-page document. What I hoped my short version would accomplish is to make it clear that this is more complicated than what was being discussed before I entered the discussion, and by pointing this out it would be my hope that the reader who might engage in this sort of project would delve into these issues before commencing on the project. I suppose I probably should have stated such along with some sort of disclaimer that my advice is not intended to substitute for checking into the wiring codes in effect in the readers city, county, state, and country.

In a private message, John Denker pointed out some points that would improve my document in terms of lightning protection, EMI information, and he thought I might do more explaining of terminology such as "neutral wire" and color codes for wires, etc. I thank John for his suggestions, but so far I haven't modified my document to incorporate his suggestions because it wasn't clear that many list members were interested.

I don't completely thumb my nose at the possibility that someone might find the info we discuss on this list, and get themselves into trouble, and try to sue us. I suppose that is a possibility. Yet, if we can't freely discuss these issues, then we might as well dissolve the list. We probably ought to quit teaching also. Goodness, one of the things I am required to include in my teaching of physics and chemistry labs is safety. This is especially true for students headed into middle-school and high-school science teaching. If I am substantially at risk because one of my students might go teach high-school science, and one of his/her students gets injured, and the law suit makes its way back to me because I either failed to point out that particular danger, or I didn't completely assure the prospective teacher had properly learned it... I guess I better get out of teaching. None of my students graduate with a thorough grasp of everything they might have grasped in college. Do I need to live in fear that all those shortcomings of all my students are going to come back to bite me.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry and Physics
Bluffton University
1 University Drive