Re: [Phys-l] how to prove relativity

At 10:32 AM -0700 6/3/10, John Denker wrote:
On 06/02/2010 09:29 PM, Bernard Cleyet wrote:

Satellite clocks are slowed by their orbital speed

Really? I wouldn't have said that.

because of their orbital speed they would have 'appeared' to have ticked fewer times than their stay-at-home twin clocks. (acceptable statement/?)

> but sped up by
their distance out of the Earth's gravitational well.

Really?

but because of their height they 'appear' to have ticked more times than their stay-ay-home twin clocks.
(acceptable??)

neither of these 'observations' has called upon the outmoded Lorentz transformations.

I agree wholeheartedly that Minkowski has it beat all over Lorentz.

But we still have to be able to simply explain (to twelve year olds etc.) the 'appearances' that are relativity.
Shadows are good analogies of projections in 4D space-time.

If we send two identical cars on different trips, and
their odometers come back with very different elapsed
distance readings, do you assume that the odometers must
have been miscalibrated, or do you consider it more likely
that one of them simply followed a longer path?

If the clocks in the cars come back with very different
elapsed time readings, do you assume that one of the
clocks was "slowed" in some spooky way, or do you consider
it more likely that one of them simply followed a longer
path, longer in the timelike direction?

But when clocks repeatedly come back to the same location overhead in their orbits - having ticked more times than their earthbound counterparts - I have absolutely NO problem in saying to a 12 year old that it was 'gravity' that 'caused' it to tick more frequently.

I'm not quite ready to give up on explaining the 'appearances' in some simple manner.

Gravity appears to slow clocks down.

Plato said that we sometimes only can grasp appearances.