Re: [Phys-l] loud bag...physics?

On 05/29/2010 04:53 PM, Brian Blais wrote:
Anyway, I thought there might be some interesting physics activity in
there somewhere, but I am not sure what.

There is some interesting and fairly complicated physics involved.

At the phenomenological level, there are various ways something
can respond when overstressed. At the extremes we have:
-- plastic deformation and creep, versus
-- brittle fracture.

And then there are all shades of gray in between. Famously
Silli-Putty (silly putty?) will creep if stress is applied
slowly, but it will shatter if shocked:
http://plc.cwru.edu/tutorial/enhanced/files/polymers/therm/therm.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWYxc8xhihg

Ideal crystals tend to be brittle. That is, once a crack is
formed, it tends to propagate like crazy. This can be understood
in terms of the Bragg-Nye model. Feynman has a chapter on this.

To make a loud bag, you need
a) strength, obviously, and
b) brittle fracture (not plastic creep so it "lets go" all
at once.

OK?