Re: [Phys-l] Efficiency problem

Just a few additional points to all of this.

Pumped storage is just that--storage--so from a physics point of view there
will always be additional losses from pumping and regenerating power versus
using the power initially and directly. One of the largest pumped storage
facilities is at Ludington Michigan
http://www.coal2nuclear.com/Ludington%20Pumped%20Storage.pdf and has a 2.5
mile long reservoir situated on a bluff above lake Michigan. However, the
use of this facility relies heavily on the Detroit area--clean across the
state--where power from their coal and nuclear plants are used at night to
pump the water and the 're-generated' power is used during peak times in the
city. Since the facility has a 1900 MW (full) output, it can substitute for
at least two conventional power plants during peak usage times. Hugh's idea
of using pumped storage to store wind and solar energy is just beginning to
be utilized but has been part of my energy class project for more than 12
years now.

This whole idea of becoming 'carbon-free' in anything like a decade or two
is pure fantasy--mostly because people don't realize of just how much energy
we actually use (with over 85% or it being carbon based. There is also this
constant misunderstanding (or ignorance) by the part of the media (and
others) that ENERGY is not just ELECTRICAL energy. Yes, we could probably
replace the carbon based electrical generation in 20 years (but fat chance
of closing down the coal industry in this country), but you also need to
replace all the oil based transportation energy sources and all the natural
gas and lp gas heating resources as well. The oil and gas end usages are
bigger than the electrical end usage--maybe by a factor of 2-3 (hard to
calculate actual energy requirements to run our transportation system), such
that to be carbon free we would need at least twice and probably 3 times the
electrical generation capacity as today. The only non-carbon resources that
could be scaled up to these levels (beyond some additional nuclear usage)
would be wind and solar and neither of those are ENERGY ON DEMAND resources.
For wind, the national average (and remember we have only been 'farming'
prime locations) is 30% operating efficiency. That means that you need 1000
1.5-MW generators to average out to a small 500 MW coal/nuclear power plant
and 2000 units for a more typical 1000 MW plant. Solar's problem is
obvious. The idea that spreading out the wind generators can somehow
guarantee a steady supply doesn't really work--especially in mid-summer when
the demand for electricity is highest (wind is lowest). THEREFORE, to
effectively use wind and solar on the massive scales necessary to really
supplant the fossil fuels requires some kind of storage system. We explore
two options--one being the pumped storage system and the other being
hydrolysis of water for the hydrogen and then a massive distribution system
for the hydrogen. Both are expensive--pipelines for the hydrogen can run to
3-5 trillion dollars, and any storage technique ADDS cost to that of the
primary power production. It also requires overbuilding the number of
wind/solar units so that you can both run directly off the energy generated
and store sufficient energy to insure a continuous flow of power even during
the calmest summers or darkest winters.

[The other idea that we would retain some fossil plants as back-ups to
wind/solar don't make economic sense for any power company--if you have
those plants it is more profitable to use them. This scheme would almost
demand government control of the energy production and distribution
system--and clearly we ALL want the government to control more of our life
(well I suspect some here actually do!)

Rick