Re: [Phys-l] Efficiency problem

At 23:35 -0700 05/28/2010, Bernard Cleyet wrote:

This is rather old hat, as it's a means of saving on investment in additional power stations, by storing power in fallow time for use when needed.

"The first use of pumped storage was in the 1890s in Italy and Switzerland. In the 1930s reversible hydroelectric turbines became available. These turbines could operate as both turbine-generators and in reverse as electric motor driven pumps. The latest in large-scale engineering technology are variable speed machines for greater efficiency. These machines generate in synchronisation with the network frequency, but operate asynchronously (independent of the network frequency) as motor-pumps."

http://en.academic.ru/dic.nsf/enwiki/168432

I first heard about its use in France, fifty? years ago.

http://www.erth.waikato.ac.nz/staff/bardsley/download/pumped_storage_note.pdf

Here's wiki's list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pumped-storage_hydroelectric_power_stations

Peter's question was about the possibility that it could violate the First Law. It doesn't. It is true, though, that if it is not linked to a renewable source of energy production, that it doesn't do much to help the CO2 emission problem. All it ever does is enable the electricity supply to be smoothed some to conform with the demand curve, which it is difficult for thermal production to do.

It may be old, but it's still a viable option, currently in use as the wiki article shows, and available for future use to back up systems where renewables play the major role in producing most of the power (coal-free and nuclear-free). Here's a proposal that takes advantage of already available pumped storage to fill in the gaps in a proposed all-renewable power production system for North Carolina: <http://www.ieer.org/reports/NC-Wind-Solar.pdf>.

It is especially viable where existing high- and low-level reservoirs lie close to each other, so that water can be quickly pumped from the low to the high reservoir for storage and flow back to the low reservoir for generation. The eliminates much of the initial capital costs, which usually become prohibitive if one has to start from scratch.

Limited because it is not likely that any entirely new facilities will be built due to excavation costs.

Hugh

--
Hugh Haskell
mailto:hugh@ieer.org

So-called "global warming" is just a secret ploy by wacko tree-huggers to make America energy independent, clean our air and water, improve the fuel efficiency of our vehicles, kick-start 21st-century industries, and make our cities safer. Don't let them get away with it!!

Chip Giller, Founder, Grist.org