From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Michael Edmiston
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 4:15 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Cramster et al.

There is a lot of gray area between elite schools and diploma mills. There

Snipsnipsnip

I wasn't sure whether I
pushed her over the edge or not. She decided to show me she could do it,
and she graduated with honors. She told me she went on to earn a PhD in
soil science, and for the past 23 years she has been all around the world as
an agricultural soil consultant in developing countries, especially Africa
and also Cambodia. She then said, "Thank you for turning me around."

Being tough might not always work, but it often does. I think it's our best
shot.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry and Physics
Bluffton University