Re: [Phys-l] Cramster et al.

I shoulda added new --- not mature.

Examples: The new transistorized "HiFis" were not HIFi A great step backward.*** Maturity brought very fast op amps. and FETs; now good HIFi amps. are possibly better than the best tube, tho some still swear by them.

Computer controlled autos: Prius recall on unplanned acceleration (I've experienced this -- rather disconcerting); the Lexus recall on VSC (vehicle stability control).

Panasonic DVD (you-all know this one) recorder. Three of the four I purchased in the last three years have required in warranty repair. One now, out of warranty, won't turn on unless reset. This takes time!. Fortunately, I discovered I can turn it on by pushing the open tray button and close the tray remotely by pushing the navigator button. And I must reset a "crashed" recorder on average once a week. The TV: if a transient is sent, the sound crashes, corrected by reset, i.e. unplug and replug. This happens about weekly!

Text writers: Because, one thinks they may make a perfect page one spends unnecessary time revising. Pen and paper is quicker, until one becomes practiced, BTW, no additional training after elementary school -- or is computer lit. now common in elem. school? Of course w/ maturity most comm. is by fiber optic where pen and paper would require scanning and character recognition, or, as I do, photo' and download as JPEG.

***bipolar are inherently very non-lin. So much feed back used, thus causing TIM (transient intermodulation distortion) a much more unpleasant distortion than simply even or even odd harmonic dist.

bc wears sabots, but must admit his coffee table physics would be very time consuming w/ paper tape, low freq. tuning forks, phonodykes**, etc. i.e. turn of the cent. technology. (He still lives in the 20th cent..)

**http://teachingcontentisteachingreading.com/CK/about/articles/lookItUp.htm

In searching for the spelling of phonodyke, I found this construction project and theory (for J. Clement)

"The progressive theory that students should gain knowledge through a limited number of projects instead of by taking courses in separate subjects is based on the following reasoning. If you learn a bunch of facts in separate, academic courses you will passively acquire a lot of inert, fragmented knowledge. You will be the victim of something called "rote learning. "But if you engage in integrated, hands-on projects you will achieve integrated, real-world knowledge. By this more natural approach you will automatically absorb the relevant facts you need."