Re: [Phys-l] Cramster et al.

Students, especially pre-meds, seem able to defeat the intent of any linear scheme of grading. So to ensure that a student can make a showing of having an acquaintance with some minimal part of the course, I require the he/she score above some minimum grade (like 20% of the max grade) to receive a passing grade in the course. This requirement is published on the first day of the course.
The last time I taught such a course, I gave a quiz at the second meeting of the class on the first day's handouts.
Regards,
Jack