Re: [Phys-l] volcano, lightning, frontiers of physics

John Denker wrote:
Here's a cool picture of Eyjafjallajokull, showing lava, billowing ash, and lightning:
http://inapcache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/eyja_04_19/e01_23056097.jpg

I mention it in this forum because
a) It's a cool picture, and
b) There is some physics in it.

I recommend this topic as an answer to any student who gets the idea that the frontiers of physics have receded
to the point where ordinary mortals cannot understand the
questions, let alone the answers.

This is an example where the question can be understood
by anyone: How is lightning produced?

The answer is probably not even very complicated. We just
don't know what it is. /snip/

"We", kimosabe?

Friction on a moving insulating belt, or jostling in a powder stream are in a similar
class, I suggest. Yesterday, my return from Amsterdam involved a far Northern
track towards Norway, turning West to the North of Iceland, and south west across
Hudson's Bay before heading to DFW. The dust plume that the track was (I suppose)
arranged to avoid was not visible to the eye, though it had again halted flights in
Northern England on the day before. Those silicate particles are hard on engines,
no doubt. Reminded me that the story of the four engine flame out in an earlier
volcanic plume has been somewhat dramatized, in the retelling.
"They tried and tried to restart, as the airliner plunged from 8 miles up..." kind of thing.
The issue is that the restart envelope for a jet involves adequate air density and
temperature - so that a restart at 12000 feet is not unexpected - at least, if you have
any compressor blades left. :-)

Brian W