Re: [Phys-l] Cheap Classroom project to sense water temperature

At 10:46 AM -0700 5/5/10, John Denker wrote:
On 05/05/2010 08:06 AM, CARABAJAL PEREZ, MARCIAL ROBERTO wrote:

We are working in a classroom project to develope a water temperature
meter. It should be built up with little electronics and using a coil
of wire copper as temperature sensor device. I would like to know if
you have seen something like this working and can bring me any
detail.

I've seen lots of things like that.

Please ask a more specific question.
-- What is the point of the project?
If all you wanted was a "water temperature meter", you would
be better off using a thermistor ... or a liquid-in-glass
thermometer.
-- How much is "little electronics"? Does it allow or disallow a digital voltmeter?
-- Have you tried it?
What (if anything) was non-trivial or non-obvious about it?

A 1000 ohm coil of fine copper wire from a Radio Shack 'reed relay' makes a very simple sensor that works between room temp and that of liquid nitrogen - but using it for changes near room Temp will need 'some' (i.e. non-trivial) electronics.