Re: [Phys-l] momentum dissipation?

PLEASE don't ! ! ! !
Momentum should be SO much easier to understand than this.
My first real understanding of how momentum could be totally misconceived was in freshman physics class.
The problem was a classic - a railcar that has a load of coal dumped into it as it rolls down the track.
How much does it slow down? No big deal.
Then the cat coasts across a raised trestle and DUMPS it's load.
Does it speedup?!?!?!?!
No, the prof tells us - because the coal is still moving forward with its own momentum.
"oh" a student proclaims "I get it, the car doesn't speed up until the coal hits the ground!!!".
And somehow the US nuclear navy survived this NROTC kid's enlistment.

Pick your system.
Extend it enough to keep momentum constant or use N2 in it's delta p form to account for any gain/loss.

Momentum should be covered in it's entirety before acceleration comes up (except for a fancy word that means 'Slope of a Velocity Graph').